The Southington Library at 255 Main St. has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, option 5 or visit southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext.3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Holiday Hours are as follows: Monday, Dec. 24, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; Tuesday, Dec. 25, closed.
- Food for Fines. Now through Dec. 26. Bring in undamaged and unexpired food items, paper goods and toiletries to offset any overdue fines. Bring the items and your library card to the circulation desk. Most needed: cereal, tuna fish, peanut butter, jelly, pasta, canned vegetables. The Mitten Tree is back, collecting new hats, mittens, gloves, scarves and socks. All items will be delivered to Southington Community Services. Don’t forget our furry companions. The following donations will be delivered to Southington Animal Control: dog treats, dog and cat toys, pill pockets, peanut butter, and other products.
- Artist of the Month: Christian Crowley. Christian Crowley is a local, multi-medium artist that has exhibited at SoCCa and other area galleries. His art mainly focuses on emotion and, sometimes, emotions that people try to avoid with his latest pieces having geometric themes and the use of text to reach the viewer.
- A Book on Every Bed. To ensure that every child experiences the joy of reading this holiday season, during the month of December, the library will give adult caregivers a book for each of their children who possess a valid Southington library card.
- Christmas comedy movie marathon. Friday, Dec. 21, in the community room. No registration needed. Light refreshments, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and bottled water will be available. 10 a.m., “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” (1989); Noon, “Four Christmases” (2008); 2 p.m., “Merry Friggin’ Christmas” (2014).
- New Year’s Eve Tea with Mary Poppins. Saturday, Dec. 29, 3 p.m. No registration needed. Join Mary Poppins for a fun New Year’s celebration with stories, songs, a craft, and a snack. This free, drop-in event is suitable for all ages. Costumes and photographs are encouraged.
- Jazz Social – La Hot Jazz and Company. Wednesday, Jan. 16, 7 to 8:30 p.m. LaHot Jazz and Company will be performing their show called “Jazz Social” on the main floor of the library. Registration is required.
- StoryART is an artistic exploration of a beloved children’s book character for kids aged 2-6.
- Our Town features stories, free play, and a community helper special guest.
- Little Foodies offers a gastronomic twist on story time and a craft for kids aged 2-6 and an adult.
- Anime Club. Thursdays, 3:30 p.m., in the library meeting room. Open to students in grades 7-12 (aged 13-18). Join the teen librarian, Nicole Kent, to watch new episodes of classic and contemporary anime.
- Thor’s Day. Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Create a different themed project each week to take home. All ages are welcome to participate. No registration is required. Stop by the children’s department desk.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over.
- Southington Sassy Skeins. Mondays, at 6:30 p.m., Thursdays, at 1 p.m., and Fridays, 10 a.m. Library sponsored knitting and crocheting group welcomes all levels of experience in both crafts. Mentors will help get you started. Needles, yarn, and instruction books available.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the month, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions. (canceled for December)
- Veterans Coffee Hour. A coffee hour just for veterans. The Southington Public Library and the Southington Veterans committee co-sponsor this monthly coffee hour. It’s an hour to meet with other veterans and have questions or concerns answered by a member of the Southington Veterans committee. Please check the Calendar of Events at southingtonlibrary.org for monthly dates.
- The Bridge. A committee co-sponsored by the Southington Public Library, The Southington Recreation Department, The Wallingford Parks and Recreation Department and the ARC of Southington. The committee is comprised of adults with disabilities and facilitators to create regionalized social events for disabled adults. Contact Elizabeth Chubet at 860-628-0947 at 6513 or email@example.com for more information.
- Friends of the Library Bookstore. Mondays and Thursdays, 2 to 5 p.m.; Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 2 to 8:30 p.m.; Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the lower level of the library. Browse a wide selection of movies, music, paperback books, and hard cover books.