Registration for the following classes and programs, unless otherwise noted, can be made at the Southington Recreation Department at (860) 276-6219. Checks should be payable to Town of Southington. Pre-registration and payment is required. For more information, registration forms, or an activity schedule visit www.southington.org/recreation.
TOUCH-A-TRUCK—Saturday, May 19, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Southington Drive In, 995 Meriden-Waterbury Tpk. (Rain date is Sunday, May 20). Cost is $4 per child (adults are free). Sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary Unit 72 and the Southington Recreation Department. Children will enjoy climbing into construction, military, emergency and other vehicles, face painting, music and more. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
SWIM LESSONS (RECREATION PARK)—Thursday, May 24, 5:30 to 8 p.m. in the Town Hall’s lower level conference room, 75 Main St. Open to Southington boys and girls ages 5 and up. Proof of residency is required. Parents of returning students should bring the child’s swim card from last year. Bring birth certificate for first time students. Cost is $55 per child ($125 for 3 siblings or $150 for 4 siblings). Class time will be determined but will be between 10 a.m. to noon. More info at www.southington.org/swim1.
SWIM LESSONS (MEMORIAL PARK)—Wednesday, May 30, 5:30 to 8 p.m. in the Town Hall’s finance department conference room, 75 Main St. Open to Southington boys and girls ages 5 and up. Proof of residency is required. Parents of returning students should bring the child’s swim card from last year. Bring birth certificate for first time students. Cost is $55 per child ($125 for 3 siblings or $150 for 4 siblings). Class time will be determined but will be between 10 a.m. to noon. More info at www.southington.org/swim1.
HIGH SCHOOL BEACH VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM—Thursdays, June 7 to Aug. 9, 6 to 8 p.m., at Recreation Park. Presented by the recreation department and Elevation Volleyball Academy. Open to Southington boys and girls entering grades 9-12 next fall. Cost is $320 per child, and includes a tank top, beach volleyball, sand socks, and sunglasses. Register by June 1. Info and forms at www.southington.org/BeachVolleyball.
CAMP RISE REGISTRATION—Registration underway as space allows through June 15. Camp RISE is open to Southington children with special needs. Session I (grades 2-5): July 2-3 and July 9-12; Session II (grades 6-12): July 16-19 and July 23-26. Sessions run 12:15 p.m. to 3 p.m. at South End Elementary School and Recreation Park. Cost varies by session. Space is extremely limited. More info and forms at www.southington.org/CampRISE
SKYHAWKS FLAG FOOTBALL CAMP—June 25-29, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Southington Drive-In, 995 Meriden-Waterbury Tpk. Presented by Skyhawks Sports Academy. Focuses on core components of passing, catching, and defense. Cost is $125. Info and forms at www.southington.org/FlagFootball.
YOUTH TENNIS LESSONS AND MATCH PLAY—Mondays thru Thursdays, June 25-July 6 (Session I), July 9-19 (Session II), July 23-Aug. 2 (Session III), or Aug. 6-16 (Session IV), at the high school tennis courts. Open to Southington boys and girls, ages 3-18. Fridays are rain dates. No class on July 4. Class times and registration fees vary by program and age group. Info and forms at www.southington.org/tennis.
YOUTH BEACH VOLLEYBALL CAMP—Aug. 6-9, 9 a.m. to noon, at Recreation Park. Presented by the recreation department and Elevation Volleyball Academy. Open to Southington boys and girls ages 7-14. Cost is $145 per child. Register by July 30. Info and forms at at www.southington.org/BeachVBCamp.
GIRLS FIELD HOCKEY CLINIC (GRADES 3-5)—Mondays and Wednesdays, Aug. 27 to Oct. 10, 5 to 6 p.m. at Panthorn Park upper lacrosse field, 485 Burritt St. Cost is $65 per child. Bring sports equipment. Info and forms at www.southington.org/FieldHockey.
GIRLS FIELD HOCKEY CLINIC (GRADES 6-9)—Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 28 to Oct. 4, 5 to 6 p.m. at Panthorn Park upper lacrosse field, 485 Burritt St. Cost is $65 per child. Bring sports equipment. Info and forms at www.southington.org/FieldHockey.
For additional information and cost, visit www.southington.org/BusTrips. Payment is due at registration. All trips are non-smoking and non-alcoholic. Insurance is available. Trips depart from the commuter lot in Cheshire on Route 10, close to the I-691. Checks should be made payable to Town of Southington. Contact the Recreation Dept at (860) 276-6219.
- June 16, Lobster Bake in Gloucester and Rockport on Cape Ann, $154.
- July 4, Macy’s Fireworks and Cruise, $254.
- July 6-8, Gettysburg and Philadelphia (overnight), $344-$684.
- July 14, Martha’s Vineyard, $114-$134.
- July 14, Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, NY, $120.
- Aug. 11-12, Boston Red Sox at Baltimore Orioles (overnight), $254-484.
- Aug. 18, Saratoga Race Course, $102.
- Sept. 16, Rhode Island Lighthouse Cruise, $130.
- Sept. 30, Garlic Festival and Hudson River Foliage Cruise, $104.
- Oct. 6, New Hampshire Fall Foliage, $184.
- Oct. 6-7, NASCAR Racing at Dover Downs (overnight), $302-$564.
- Oct. 13, Boston “On Your Own,” $76.
- Oct. 27, Haunted Happenings, Salem, MA, $76-$104.
- Nov. 10, Kittery, Maine Shopping and Lobster Bake, $86-$124.
- Dec. 8, Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall, NYC, $TBD.
MUSIC ON THE GREEN
Wednesdays, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the town green. Free concerts, along with a free car show. Rain dates will be held on Thursdays. (Sponsors are in parenthesis). For more info, visit www.southington.org/music.
- May 23, Karismics (Kiwanis Club of Southington).
- May 30, Rock Solid Alibi (Aqua Turf Club).
- June 6, Night Flight: Final Approach (Rotary Club).
- June 13, Studio Two (TD Bank; Two Brothers Ice Cream).
- June 20, A-Ray of Elvis (The Summit at Plantsville; Tighe & Bond).
- June 27, Changes in Latitudes (Rich Capital Financial Services; Showcase Auto & Recovery).
- July 4, No concert.
- July 11, BootLeg Band (Southington Police Union – LEAS).
- July 18, The Diamond Collection (Richard Chevrolet).
- July 25, The Sam Vinci Orchestra (Sons of Italy; UNICO).
- Aug. 1, Cover2Cover (Drive-In Committee).
- Aug. 8, Goldrush (Ali’s Nursery).
- Aug. 15, Dennis Polisky & Maestro’s Men (Polish Falcons).
- Aug. 22, The Kyle Niles Band (YMCA).
- Aug. 29, Coyote River Band (Billy Carlson Heating & Air Conditioning).
- Sept. 5, Out the Boxx (Lions Club).