Registration for the following classes and programs, unless otherwise noted, can be made at the Southington Recreation Department at (860) 276-6219. Checks should be payable to Town of Southington. Pre-registration and payment is required. For more information, registration forms, or an activity schedule visit www.southington.org/recreation.
KID’S ENTERTAINMENT SERIES—Tuesdays, June 27-Aug. 22, 6 p.m.-8 p.m., at the Southington Drive-In, 995 Meriden Waterbury Tpk. Sponsored by the Southington Recreation Department. Bring a blanket or lawn chair and enjoy an evening of free entertainment for all ages. For a list of performances, visit www.southington.org/KES.
YOUTH TENNIS LESSONS & MATCH PLAY—Two week sessions on Mondays-Thursdays, June 26-July 7 (Session I), July 10-20 (Session II), July 24-Aug. 3 (Session III), or Aug. 7-17 (Session IV), at the SHS tennis courts. Open to Southington residents aged 3-18. Class times and program fees vary by program and age group. More info and forms at www.southington.org/tennis.
CAMP RISE REGISTRATION—Registration is underway on a first-come, first-served basis for the Southington Recreation Department’s Camp RISE summer program for children with special needs. Open to Southington residents. Camp takes place from 12:15 p.m.-3:15 p.m. daily at South End Elementary School and Recreation Park. Session 1 (grades 2-5): July 5-6 and July 10-13. Session 2 (grades 6-12 to age 21), July 17-20 and July 24-27. Info and forms at www.southington.org/CampRISE.
SUMMER HOOPS PROGRAM—Wednesdays, July 12-Aug. 23, 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. (grades 4-5) or 7:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. (grades 6-8), at Panthorn Park courts. Open to Southington residents entering grades 4-8 this fall. No tryouts; teams will be chosen each week. Cost is $30 ($60 maximum per family). Beginning July 1, there’s an addition $10 late fee per child ($20 per family). Forms and infor at www.sybahoops.org or www.southington.org/SummerHoops.
ADULT FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE—Register by Friday, July 14. Open to Southington residents and land owners or SHS graduates ages 18 and up. Teams may be co-ed. A maximum of 3 out-of-town players will also be permitted. Cost is $725 per team. Games will be held on Sundays at Recreation Park from August-October. Forms and info at www.southington.org/AdultFlagFootball.
SKYHAWKS TRACK & FIELD CAMP—July 31-Aug. 4, from 9 a.m. to noon, at Southington High School. Open to Southington residents ages 7-12. Students will be taught standard track & field events: long distance, sprints, soft hurdles, relays, shot put, discus, and standing long-jump. Cost is $119. Info and forms at www.southington.org/TrackCamp.
FAMILY MUSIC THERAPY PROGRAM—Thursdays, Aug. 3-24, 5:30 p.m.-6:15 p.m., in the town hall lower meeting room, 75 Main St. Open to Southington resident children with special needs and their families. The program will nurture social, physical, and emotional skills through interactive music making, singing, playing instruments, and creative movement. Cost is $80. Info and forms at www.southington.org/MusicTherapy.
SAND VOLLEYBALL CAMP—Aug. 7-11, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., at Recreation Park. Open to Southington children, aged 7-14. Space is limited and registration will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Cost is $145. Forms and info at www.southington.org/SandVolleyball.
GIRLS YOUTH FIELD HOCKEY PROGRAM—Wednesdays, Aug. 30-Oct. 4, 5 p.m.-6 p.m. (grades 3-5) or Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 29-Oct. 5, 5 p.m.-6 p.m. (grades 6-8), at the upper lacrosse field at Panthorn Park, 485 Burritt St. Students must bring their own equipment. Program fees vary. Forms, fees, and info at www.southington.org/FieldHockey.
MUSIC ON THE GREEN
Free concerts, along with a free car show, takes place every Wednesday May 31 through Sept. 6 on the Town Green. Music begins at 7 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m. Rain dates will be held on Thursdays. (Sponsors are in parenthesis). For more info, visit www.southington.org/MOTG
- June 28, Rock This Town (Kiwanis Club, Two Brothers Ice Cream)
- July 5, Eddie Forman Orchestra (Polish Falcons)
- July 12, River of Dreams (Tighe & Bond, Two Brothers Ice Cream)
- July 19, Diamond Collection (Richard Chevrolet)
- July 26, I’Liguri (Sons of Italy, UNICO)
- Aug. 2, BootLeg Band (Drive-In Committee)
- Aug. 9, Pocket Full of Soul (Ali’s Nursery)
- Aug. 16, Kyle Niles Band (YMCA)
- Aug. 23, Darik and the Funbags (The Summit)
- Aug. 30, Heartbeat Dixieland Jazz Band (TD Bank)
- Sept. 6, Soul Sound Revue (Billy Carlson Heating & AC, Showcase Auto & Recovery)
For additional information and cost, visit www.southington.org/BusTrips. Payment is due at registration. All trips are non-smoking and non-alcoholic. Insurance is available. Trips depart from the commuter lot in Cheshire on Route 10, close to the I-691. Checks should be made payable to Town of Southington. Contact the Recreation Dept at (860) 276-6219.
- July 15, Baseball Hall of Fame – Cooperstown, NY, $114
- July 16, Yankees vs. Red Sox at Fenway Park, $154
- Aug. 5, Whale Watch – Plymouth, MA, $104
- Aug. 13, Boston Pops by the Sea & Harbor Cruise, $140
- Aug. 19, Saratoga Race Course, $94
- Sept. 9, 9/11 Memorial, Museum & Observatory, $138
- Sept. 30-October 1, NASCAR Racing at Dover Downs, $292-$534
- Oct. 1, Vermont Fall Foliage, $144
- Oct. 7-9, Montreal, Canada, $294-$674
- Oct. 28, Salem, MA “Haunted Happenings”, $84-98
- Nov. 23, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, $74
- Dec. 10, Newport Holiday at The Breakers, $94
- Dec. 15, Radio City Christmas Spectacular, $TBD