Quick reaction from neighbor saves a local woman

When Alessandro Rodegher pulled into his driveway, he saw smoke coming from his neighbor’s home. The Southington resident jumped into action. He rushed next door, and pulled his neighbor to safety.

The Southington Fire Department reported that a phone call was received at 11:11 p.m. on Sunday, March 1 which reported a fire at 10 Hillside Lane, in the Three Gardens Trailer Park. When fire fighters arrived they found Rodegher assisting the occupant.

SFD Companies 1, 2, and 5 responded to the call, and the fire was extinguished within minutes.

“Mr. Rodegher’s actions were critical to the occupant’s safety,” Captain Alan Zygmunt said in an SFD press release. “He probably saved her life.”

The investigation revealed that the occupant was alone at the time of the fire. She was transported to Bristol Hospital by ambulance for smoke inhalation.

The fire department reported that the fire was confined to the front bedroom, but there was smoke damage throughout. The owner who was not home at the time but is being assisted by Southington Social services for temporary housing and other needs.

The fire marshal’s office was on scene and has not officially released the cause, but the report said that it was believed to be accidental. The fire marshal is still investigating.

The fire also caused some issues with traffic on Queen St. in the area due to hose and apparatus in the road. Other than the occupant, there were no injuries reported.

Leave a Reply