Posts Tagged ‘ Southington Fire Department ’

Firefighters to ask residents to ‘Fill the Boot’

June 4, 2013
By

Firefighters will be out on the streets of Southington, Connecticut, asking motorists to help “Fill the Boot” for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on Friday, June 7, from 4-7 p.m.   Every dollar that passing motorists can pitch into the fire fighters’ boots of Southington Local 2033 helps to fund MDA services to individuals and their families…

Read more »

Fire Dept. obtains new compressor

April 7, 2013
By

By Ed Harris Editor The Southington Fire Department recently acquired a new high pressure breathing air compressor, thanks to a grant. The compressor, which fills the air packs the firefighters wear into a fire, was obtained through an Assistance to Firefighters grant. The grant covered 90 percent of the compressor’s $56,000 price tag. The town…

Read more »

Students fire prevention posters a hit

February 10, 2013
By
2012-2013 Fire Prevention Poster Contest 1st Place Wunners 010

A ceremony was held on Jan. 9 for the Connecticut Annual Fire Prevention Poster Contest first place winners at Southington Fire Department Headquarters. This year’s winners are Tyler Spinelli, Grade 5 from Kelly School and Greta Panke, Grade 4 of Strong School. Both winners received a season’s pass for Lake Compounce and a $50 money…

Read more »

Overheated HVAC unit at DePaolo causes evacuation

January 18, 2013
By

By Ed Harris Editor An overheated HVAC unit at DePaolo Middle School caused a minor evacuation early last week, after it started smoking, triggering the school’s fire alarm. Southington Fire Chief Harold “Buddy” Clark said the department was dispatched to the school due to an unknown odor on Tuesday, Jan. 8. The students were in…

Read more »

Overheated HVAC unit causes evacuation at DePaolo Middle School

January 9, 2013
By

By Ed Harris Editor An overheated HVAC unit at DePaolo Middle School caused a minor evacuation Tuesday, after it started smoking, triggering the school’s fire alarm. Southington Fire Chief Harold “Buddy” Clark said the department was dispatched to the school due to an unknown odor. The students were in the process of evacuating when the…

Read more »

September 27, 2012
By
jitters fire

By Ed Harris Editor   An early morning fire has displaced three businesses along the Southington/Plainville line. On Wednesday, Sept. 26, a fire broke out in the back area of Jitter’s Café, causing extensive fire and smoke damage. “The kitchen was fully involved,” said Southington Fire Chief Harold Clark. Clark said the kitchen had jutted…

Read more »

Casarella is parade grand marshal

September 14, 2012
By
Neil Casarella is this year’s Apple Harvest Festival Grand Marshal.

By ROB GLIDDEN STAFF WRITER Apple Harvest Festival organizers have chosen Neil Casarella, who retired from the Southington Fire Department in August after 38 years of service, as this year’s Grand Marshal. “I was really honored and a little surprised,” he said. Casarella has also served as an ex-officio member of the festival’s supervisory committee,…

Read more »