Posts Tagged ‘ Southington Fire Department ’

Local volunteer firefighter charged with early June dumpster fire

August 20, 2014
By
Local volunteer firefighter charged with early June dumpster fire

A local volunteer firefighter was arrested for starting a dumpster fire in the Raya Clinic parking lot in early June. On Wednesday, August 20, , 24, of 146 South St., third floor, Bristol, surrendered to police after learning there was a warrant out for his arrest. According to the arrest warrant, Newman, a volunteer firefighter…

Read more »

Death in apartment fire ruled a homicide

June 23, 2014
By
Death in apartment fire ruled a homicide

The death of a 19-year-old woman in an apartment fire in Southington has been ruled a homicide, the state Chief Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday. The agency determined that Kristen Milano died of smoke inhalation in Sunday’s blaze at the Summer Brook Apartments. Authorities, however, would not say why they thought Milano’s death was a…

Read more »

Southington firefighters to take part in MDA Fill the Boot campaign

June 18, 2014
By

On Thursday, June 19, Southington Firefighters, from IAFF Local 2033, will kick off their annual Fill the Boot campaign to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), the world’s leading nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neuromuscular diseases.  This year, Professional Firefighters from…

Read more »

Survey aimed at fire safety

March 22, 2014
By

By Ed Harris Editor The Southington Fire Department has recently established a new home fire safety survey program that aims to help keep residents safe. “It’s part of our community risk reduction program,” said firefighter Eric D’Arcy about the voluntary program. “It’s a prevention strategy.” The survey involves having a firefighter come through your home,…

Read more »

Fire company gets new thermal camera

December 23, 2013
By
Fire company gets new thermal camera

By Ed Harris Editor The Southington Fire Department, Company 2 in Plantsville, has a new thermal imaging camera that will help immensely on emergency calls. The new thermal camera, an Eagle Attack, replaces an older thermal camera, the Eagle X, that the fire company has had for close to five years. The Eagle X is…

Read more »

Firefighters to ‘Fill the Boot’ to aid MDA

June 18, 2013
By

Fire fighters will be out on the streets of Southington, asking motorists to help “Fill the Boot” for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on Friday, June 21, from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.    Every dollar that passing motorists can pitch into the fire fighters’ boots of Southington Local 2033 helps to fund MDA services to…

Read more »

Firefighters to ask residents to ‘Fill the Boot’

June 4, 2013
By

Firefighters will be out on the streets of Southington, Connecticut, asking motorists to help “Fill the Boot” for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on Friday, June 7, from 4-7 p.m.   Every dollar that passing motorists can pitch into the fire fighters’ boots of Southington Local 2033 helps to fund MDA services to individuals and their families…

Read more »

Fire Dept. obtains new compressor

April 7, 2013
By

By Ed Harris Editor The Southington Fire Department recently acquired a new high pressure breathing air compressor, thanks to a grant. The compressor, which fills the air packs the firefighters wear into a fire, was obtained through an Assistance to Firefighters grant. The grant covered 90 percent of the compressor’s $56,000 price tag. The town…

Read more »

Students fire prevention posters a hit

February 10, 2013
By
Students fire prevention posters a hit

A ceremony was held on Jan. 9 for the Connecticut Annual Fire Prevention Poster Contest first place winners at Southington Fire Department Headquarters. This year’s winners are Tyler Spinelli, Grade 5 from Kelly School and Greta Panke, Grade 4 of Strong School. Both winners received a season’s pass for Lake Compounce and a $50 money…

Read more »

Overheated HVAC unit at DePaolo causes evacuation

January 18, 2013
By

By Ed Harris Editor An overheated HVAC unit at DePaolo Middle School caused a minor evacuation early last week, after it started smoking, triggering the school’s fire alarm. Southington Fire Chief Harold “Buddy” Clark said the department was dispatched to the school due to an unknown odor on Tuesday, Jan. 8. The students were in…

Read more »