Posts Tagged ‘ fire department ’

Car ends up in the river following I-84 crash

July 16, 2014
By

Southington firefighters, with the help of passing motorists, were able to safely help two occupants of a car that went off the road near Exit 30 on Interstate 84, coming to rest in the nearby river. The call came in to fire dispatch at 6:30 p.m. Firefighters responded to find that the car had careened…

Read more »

Southington firefighters to take part in MDA Fill the Boot campaign

June 18, 2014
By

On Thursday, June 19, Southington Firefighters, from IAFF Local 2033, will kick off their annual Fill the Boot campaign to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), the world’s leading nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and other neuromuscular diseases.  This year, Professional Firefighters from…

Read more »

Survey aimed at fire safety

March 22, 2014
By

By Ed Harris Editor The Southington Fire Department has recently established a new home fire safety survey program that aims to help keep residents safe. “It’s part of our community risk reduction program,” said firefighter Eric D’Arcy about the voluntary program. “It’s a prevention strategy.” The survey involves having a firefighter come through your home,…

Read more »

Storm cleanup is a slow process

February 13, 2013
By
Storm cleanup is a slow process

By Rob Glidden Staff Writer Southington residents and officials spent several days trying to dig the town out from over two feet of snow left behind by a historic blizzard that overwhelmed the state on Friday evening. Governor Dannel Malloy declared a state of emergency in Connecticut at noon on Friday, when the snow was…

Read more »

Overheated HVAC unit causes evacuation at DePaolo Middle School

January 9, 2013
By

By Ed Harris Editor An overheated HVAC unit at DePaolo Middle School caused a minor evacuation Tuesday, after it started smoking, triggering the school’s fire alarm. Southington Fire Chief Harold “Buddy” Clark said the department was dispatched to the school due to an unknown odor. The students were in the process of evacuating when the…

Read more »

Switch to our mobile site