By SHERIDAN ROY
The Southington Recreation Department announced the schedule for the 26th annual “Music on the Green” outdoor concert series. Held each Wednesday at the town green, the 2019 schedule kicks off May 29 and ends Sept. 4.
Concerts are held weekly from 7 to 9 p.m. and are free to the public. Just bring a lawn chair or blanket for seating. There will be also be a classic car show alongside the concert each week.
“We are excited about the lineup of bands this year. We will feature six new bands that have never performed as part of Music on the Green in the past,” said director of recreation Dave Lapreay. “There are also several fan favorites that will be returning to complete our 15 weeks of summer concerts.”
During the event of inclement weather, the concert and car show will be postponed to Thursday evening at the same time.
Free parking is available in the municipal lots located behind the town hall (entrance on Berlin Avenue), on Riccio Way (entrance on Main Street next to Subway), and off of Center Street. Municipal lots are marked with black and gold signs. Do not park in private driveways or lots owned by local businesses.
Note that alcoholic beverages are not allowed on and around the town green per town ordinance (section 312-5). Dogs, skateboards, in-line skates and rollerblades, bicycles, scooters (gas, battery or push) and motorized vehicles are not allowed on the grounds during the event (section 390-20).
Police dogs and vehicles, working service dogs, and motorized or non-motorized devices used by disabled persons are exempt.
“As one of the largest and most successful town –run summer concert series in the state, I look forward to another wonderful season that will bring hundreds of folks to our downtown area each week to enjoy some great music,” said Lapreay, “and hopefully stop in at one of the many local restaurants and businesses before or after the concert.”
- On May 29, “Wooden Horse” (America/Crosby, Stills & Nash tribute) will play, sponsored by the Southington Community YMCA.
- On June 5, “Nightshift” (rock and pop hits from the 60s to 80s) will play, sponsored by Billy Carlson Heating & Air Conditioning, LLC.
- On June 12, “Darik and the Funbags” (high energy party band) will play, sponsored by Blackstone Irish Pub/Hop Haus and Edward McMahon Insurance Agency.
- On June 19, “Norm Flash and the Starfires” (country music) will play, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Southington.
- On June 26, “What It Is” (R&B, funk, rock and jazz) will play, sponsored by the Southington Police Union.
- On July 3, “The Diamond Collection” (Neil Diamond tribute) will play, sponsored by Richard Chevrolet. There is no rain date for this show.
- On July 10, “Long Island Sound Band) (greatest hits from the 40s to today) will play, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Southington and Showcase Auto & Recovery, LLC.
- On July 17, “Ball in the House” (a cappella R&B, soul and pop) will play, sponsored by Tighe & Bond and Two Brothers Ice Cream.
- On July 24, “The Sam Vinci Orchestra” (Italian and American classics) will play, sponsored by the Sons of Italy and the UNICO Club of Southington.
- On July 31, “BootLeg Band” (country music) will play, sponsored by the Southington Lions Club.
- On Aug. 7, “Dennis Polisky & Maestro’s Men” (polka music) will play, sponsored by the Polish Falcons of America Nest 307).
- On Aug. 14, “The Glamour Girls” (dance hits from the 40s to today) will play, sponsored by Attorney Elizabeth Kopec.
- On Aug. 21, “The Pop Rocks” (pop and rock hits form the 80s) will play, sponsored by the Aqua Turf Club.
- On Aug. 28, “King Kountry” (country music) will play, sponsored by The Summit at Plantsville.
- On Sept. 4, “Soul Sound Revue” (midtown classics from the 60s to 80s) will play, sponsored by Ali’s Nursery and TD Bank.
For more information about bands and sponsors, visit www.Southington.org/music. Call the recreation department at (860) 276-6219 with questions.