The Southington Library at 255 Main St. has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, option 5 or visit southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext.3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- April Artist of the Month: Molly Virello. Join Southington children’s librarian Molly Virello for a pictoral exhibition entitled “Con-Struction: A Goddess is born,” which details her costume build of Hela, the villain from the 2017 movie “Thor: Ragnarok.” The exhibit comes just in time to build inspiration for the Southington Library Comic Con in June.
- Out of This World Fantasy & Science Fiction Book Club Meeting. Wednesday, May 1 at 7 p.m. Discuss Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett’s comedic fantasy “Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch.”
- Spring Mystery Group: ‘Friday the Rabbi Slept Late’ by Harry Kemelman. Tuesday, May 7, 3 p.m. Session II. Carole Shmurak leads a three-part mystery series featuring crime-solving clergy.
- Rubber Stamps Sale. Friday, May 10, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday, May 11, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sponsored by Southington Friends of the Library. Hundreds of new and gently used rubber stamps. Everything is $5 or less.
- Books and Bagels. Thursday, May 16, 10 to 11 a.m. Come discuss your favorite books and get recommendations from fellow reading enthusiasts.
- Spring Mystery Group: ‘In the Bleak Midwinter’ by Julia Spencer-Fleming. Tuesday, June 11, 3 p.m. Session III. Carole Shmurak leads a three-part mystery series featuring crime-solving clergy.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the month, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions.
- Check-out musical instruments. This new collection will allow library patrons to explore different instruments before buying or check out instruments for a special event. You may bring your gently used donations directly to The Music Shop, 405 Queen St., Southington or the children’s department.
- Veterans Coffee Hour. A coffee hour just for veterans. The Southington Public Library and the Southington Veterans committee co-sponsor this monthly coffee hour. It’s an hour to meet with other veterans and have questions or concerns answered by a member of the Southington Veterans committee. Please check the Calendar of Events at southingtonlibrary.org for monthly dates.
- The Bridge. A committee co-sponsored by the Southington Public Library, The Southington Recreation Department, The Wallingford Parks and Recreation Department and the ARC of Southington. The committee is comprised of adults with disabilities and facilitators to create regionalized social events for disabled adults. Contact Elizabeth Chubet at 860-628-0947 at 6513 or email@example.com for more information.
- Friends of the Library Bookstore. Mondays and Thursdays, 2 to 5 p.m.; Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 2 to 8:30 p.m.; Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the lower level of the library. Browse a wide selection of movies, music, paperback books, and hard cover books.
- DMV Practice Driving-Tests. Driving.Tests.org is now available for free at the library.
- StoryART is an artistic exploration of a beloved children’s book character for kids aged 2-6.
- Our Town features stories, free play, and a community helper special guest.
- Little Foodies offers a gastronomic twist on story time and a craft for kids aged 2-6 and an adult.
- Anime Club. Thursdays, 3:30 p.m., in the library meeting room. Open to students in grades 7-12 (aged 13-18). Join the teen librarian, Nicole Kent, to watch new episodes of classic and contemporary anime.
- Thor’s Day. Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Create a different themed project each week to take home. All ages are welcome to participate. No registration is required. Stop by the children’s department desk.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over.
- Southington Sassy Skeins. Mondays, at 6:30 p.m., Thursdays, at 1 p.m., and Fridays, 10 a.m. Library sponsored knitting and crocheting group welcomes all levels of experience in both crafts. Mentors will help get you started. Needles, yarn, and instruction books available.