Registration for the following classes and programs, unless otherwise noted, can be made at the Southington Recreation Department at (860) 276-6219. Checks should be payable to Town of Southington. Pre-registration and payment is required. For more information, registration forms, or an activity schedule visit southington.org/recreation.
SOUTHINGTON LITTLE LEAGUE & GIRL’S SOFTBALL REGISTRATION. Saturday, Feb. 2, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the Southington High School cafeteria, 720 Pleasant St. Open to Southington children at least 5 years old by Dec. 31, 2019. Fees vary by league; cash or check only. Parents should bring the child’s birth certificate (certified copy with raised seal) and three different forms of proof of residency. More info at www.southington.org/LittleLeague.
SAFE BOATING COURSE. Feb. 26, 28, and March 5, 6 to 9 p.m., in the Southington Police Department headquarters education room, 69 Lazy Ln. Cost is $20 and attendance is mandatory for all three days. No residency requirements; registrants must be at least 12 years of age. Upon successful completion of the course, certificates are purchased from the DEEP for an additional fee. Pre-registration and payment is required; walk-ins not be accepted. Info and forms at www.southington.org/boating.
ARTS & CRAFTS (SPECIAL NEEDS). Thursdays, Feb. 28, March 18, 28, April 11, and May 9, 6:30 to 8 p.m., at Derynoski Elementary School cafeteria. Cost is $15 per class. Registration and forms at www.southington.org/crafts.
GIRLS VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM. Tuesdays, March 12 to May 14, 6 to 7 p.m. (grades 3-6) or 7 to 8:30 p.m. (grades 7-8), at the Derynoski Elementary School gym, 240 Main St., Southington. The program focus will be on both beginner and skilled players currently attending grades 3-8. Open to Southington residents only. Cost is $55 per student in grades 3-6 or $60 for grades 7-8. Register by March 1. Registration and forms at www.southington.org/volleyball.
BOYS VOLLEYBALL LEAGUE. Mondays, March 11 to May 13, 6:15 to 8:45 p.m., in the Derynoski Elementary School gym, 240 Main St., Southington. Open to boys, agest 7-14. Two weeks of fundamentals and training followed by six weeks of skill-based drills and competitive games. Cost is $105 per child. Register by March 4. Registration and forms at www.southington.org/BoysVolleyball.
FUNDAMENTALS OF YOUTH RUNNING. Thursdays, March 21 to May 16, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., on the Derynoski Elementary School track, 240 Main St., Southington. Open to children aged 7-15. The 8-week clinic will focus on form, stamina, pace, stretching, hydration, and building the confidence to complete a 5K race. Cost is $80 per child. Register by March 15. Registration and forms at www.southington.org/running.
For additional information and cost, visit southington.org/BusTrips. Payment is due at registration. All trips are non-smoking and non-alcoholic. Insurance is available. Trips depart from the commuter lot in Cheshire on Route 10, close to the I-691. Checks should be made payable to Town of Southington. Contact the Recreation Dept at (860) 276-6219.
- Feb. 1-4, Quebec Winter Carnival, $699-$999.
- March 2, Philadelphia Flower Show, $127.
- March 17-25, Southern Cities: Savannah, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach, $1,549-$2,399.
- April 6, 911 Memorial, Museum, and One World Observatory, $143.
- April 13-14, Lancaster, Pa., $289-$389.
- May 19, Newport, R.I. “Servant Life” Tour, $109.
- June 8, Lobster Bake in Gloucester and Rockport on Cape Ann (optional whale watch), $153-$189.
- June 15, Erie Canal Cruise, $159.
- July 13, Martha’s Vineyard (optional island tour), $119-$139.
- July 21, National Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, N.Y., $115.
- Aug. 10, Saratoga Race Course, $99.
- Sept. 15, Rhode Island Lighthouse Cruise, $129.
- Oct. 26, Philadelphia Food Tour, $115.
- Oct. 26, Salem, Mass., “Haunted Happenings,” $79.
- Nov. 2, Boston Christmas Festival, $81.
- Nov. 28, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, $77.