The Southington Library at 255 Main St. has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, option 5 or visit southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext.3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Leonard Bernstein – An American Treasure, a lecture by Jeffrey Engel. Wednesday, Oct. 24, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. This lecture will discuss Leonard Bernstein and his influence on American music today. Engel has been giving lectures devoted to music history in colleges, libraries, retirement communities, and other venues for 20 years.
- College Financial Aid Workshop. Tuesday, Oct. 30, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. Jennifer Philips’ seminar, “Simplifying the Financial Aid Process, “ will provide parents and students with tips on securing the best possible financial aid package from the college of their choice. She will describe the best student loans, grants and scholarships available, explain the critical financial aid forms and deadlines and the various components of a financial aid offer, describe how to best compare and appeal offers in extenuating circumstance and provide tips on how to address the gap between tuition and financial aid.
- Halloween Horror Movie Marathon. Wednesday, Oct. 31, noon to 8 p.m. No registration. Light refreshments will be served while classic movies play. At noon, the 1931 film, “Dracula;” at 2 p.m. the 1956 thriller “Invasion of the Body Snatchers;” at 4 p.m. the 1968 classic, “Night of the Living Dead;” and at 6 p.m. the 1960 terror, “Psycho.”
- Local Author and Motivational Speaker: William Gannon. Wednesday, Nov. 7, 6:30 p.m. Join local author William Gannon on his tragic journey in life and how he has found hope and happiness. Follow his story through some of life’s biggest challenges and losses, and at the end, find what in life matters most. This program is not intended for small children, but is appropriate for teens. Space is limited.
- Renaissance Faire. Saturday, Nov. 10, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. A free, all agest, drop-in event. Costumes encouraged; photos a must.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the month, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions.
- Chi Gong. Thursdays, 6 to 6:45 p.m., until Nov. 8. Registration is suggested. Certified teacher Gwen Valencis will lead this ancient Chinese exercise and healing technique that involves meditation, controlled breathing, and movement exercises (pronounced chee-gong). No equipment or mats required.
- STEAM Storytime will engage kids aged 2-6 with stories, iPad apps, music, movement, and activities related to science, technology, engineering, art, and math.
- StoryART is an artistic exploration of a beloved children’s book character for kids aged 2-6.
- Our Town features stories, free play, and a community helper special guest.
- Little Foodies offers a gastronomic twist on story time and a craft for kids aged 2-6 and an adult.
- Anime Club. Thursdays, 3:30 p.m., in the library meeting room. Open to students in grades 7-12 (aged 13-18). Join the teen librarian, Nicole Kent, to watch new episodes of classic and contemporary anime.
- Thor’s Day. Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Create a different themed project each week to take home. All ages are welcome to participate. No registration is required. Stop by the children’s department desk.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over.
- Southington Sassy Skeins. Mondays, at 6:30 p.m., Thursdays, at 1 p.m., and Fridays, 10 a.m. Library sponsored knitting and crocheting group welcomes all levels of experience in both crafts. Mentors will help get you started. Needles, yarn, and instruction books available.
- Veterans Coffee Hour. A coffee hour just for veterans. The Southington Public Library and the Southington Veterans committee co-sponsor this monthly coffee hour. It’s an hour to meet with other veterans and have questions or concerns answered by a member of the Southington Veterans committee. Please check the Calendar of Events at southingtonlibrary.org for monthly dates.
- The Bridge. A committee co-sponsored by the Southington Public Library, The Southington Recreation Department, The Wallingford Parks and Recreation Department and the ARC of Southington. The committee is comprised of adults with disabilities and facilitators to create regionalized social events for disabled adults. Contact Elizabeth Chubet at (860) 628-0947, ext. 6513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friends of the Library Bookstore. Mondays and Thursdays, 2 to 5 p.m.; Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 2 to 8:30 p.m.; Fridays, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the lower level of the library. Browse a wide selection of movies (25 cents), music (25 cents), paperback books (50 cents), and hard cover books ($1).