Losses mount: Boys soccer team has little room for error

Kyle Buchanan clears a ball during a loss to RHAM.



Southington boys soccer has had a lot of trouble scoring goals, and as a result its postseason hopes are slipping away. The Blue Knights lost 2-1 at Bristol Eastern on Oct. 9, then fell 2-0 against RHAM at home on Sept. 12.

“We’ve just had some tough luck as of late, and we just got to work through it,” coach Dave Yanosy said following the RHAM loss. “If we see the ball hit the back of the net, you could have a situation where the floodgates open, and I kind of hope that happens in the last handful of games here.”

Now at 2-7-2, the boys will need to secure seven points over the next five games to qualify for the postseason.

On Tuesday, Oct. 9, a late rally came up short against Bristol Eastern to start the week.

The Blue Knights gave up the first two goals to the Lancers, but Colin Burdette scored in the second half to make it 2-1. Southington had chances, including one where Eastern keeper Nate DiLoreto had to make a big save to preserve the lead.

“We’ve been in pretty much every game that we’ve played,” Yanosy said.

John Griffin and Bobby LaCluyze combined for eight saves in the loss.

On Friday, Southington missed a number of scoring chances in a home loss to RHAM.

“That’s the beauty of the game of soccer. It comes down to who scores goals, who finds the back of the net,” Yanosy said. “As elementary as it sounds, despite the fact that we had a number of opportunities today, RHAM was able to cash in on a couple that they had, and that was the difference.”

RHAM picked up its first goal with 18:32 left in the first half. The sequence started with a corner kick, and the Sachems kept at it in the box until the ball went in the goal.

“They had a header in the first half and they followed it well,” Yanosy said. “They were able to get the rebound and score.”

Still trailing 1-0 more than midway into the second half, Southington decided to push some players forward.

“We had just said hey, it’s 1-0, let’s move some guys forward,” Yanosy said. “No sooner do we make that move, they get the ball through and they end up getting the second goal right after we made that move. That was a little unlucky, but give them credit, they cashed in on their opportunities.”

The second goal came at the 13:13 mark of the second half.

Southington thought it had a goal from Colin Burdette in the final seconds of the first half, only to see it called back on a close offside ruling.

“It was a frustrating game from the standpoint that we had a lot of shots, we had a lot of opportunities, we had a goal called back, we hit the crossbar,” Yanosy said. “We kind of did everything but score.”

Burdette and Joseph Colaccino each took shots at the RHAM goal in the second half. Colaccino even hit the net just outside of the left post from a long way out on a kick that was into the wind.

“It just wasn’t our day in terms of finding the back of the net, and that’s what the game comes down to,” Yanosy said.

Up next: Southington had a tough test ahead of it at Avon on Tuesday. The Blue Knights host Newington on Friday at 3:30 p.m.

To comment on this story or to contact staff writer Kevin Roberts, email him at KRoberts@SouthingtonObserver.com

Leave a Reply