The Southington Library at 255 Main St. has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Artist of the Month is Necla Balasaygun. Necla Balasaygun, a Bristol resident, was born in Istanbul, Turkey. She paints with oils, as well as mixed media.
- Friends of the Library Book Sale. All Cookbooks are half price in February in the Friends of the Library book store, lower level of the Southington Public Library. Book store hours are Mondays and Thursdays, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.; Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 2 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.; Fridays, 10 am. To 4:30 p.m.; and Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Just Be Cause. Monday, Feb. 26, 7 p.m. in the library meeting room. Registration required. Each month kids aged 8-12 will make projects benefitting animals and people that will be donated to a local cause.
- What the Heck is iCloud? Wednesday, Feb. 28, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Registration required. This presentation explains iCloud, and how you can use it to backup an iPhone and/or iPad, and synchronize information among multiple devices, along with Apple IDs and why one is required for the use of iCloud and other Apple services such as iTunes and the App store.
- Poetry Discussion Series – Pablo Neruda (Nobel Prize winner). Wednesday, March 7, 6:30 p.m. Third in a series of three poetry reading and discussions led by Christine Beck and Mark Sheridan. Space is limited. Explore Chilean poet Pablo Neruda, one of the most highly-acclaimed poets in the world, but he is not well known to North Americans. Neruda won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1971.
- Just Be Cause. Monday, March 19, 7 p.m. in the library meeting room. Registration required. Each month kids aged 8-12 will make projects benefitting animals and people that will be donated to a local cause.
- Anime Club. Thursdays, 3:30 p.m., in the library meeting room. Open to students in grades 7-12 (aged 13-18). Join the teen librarian, Nicole Kent, to watch new episodes of classic and contemporary anime.
- Behavioral Health Information. Mondays, 10 a.m., or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. Wheeler Clinic senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will offer behavioral health information and connection with services available for local residents. For private consultations, contact Justine at (860) 414-1235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Gamers Gathering. Mondays, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Stop by the Teen Zone and spend a few hours playing your favorite board games and card games or trying new ones. Ages 13 and up.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over.
- Pajama Jam. Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. No registration. Drop-in evening storytime. The whole family will sing, dance, move, grove and listen to stories. Wearing pajamas is encouraged. Stuffed animals are welcome.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Saturday Morning Movies. Saturdays, beginning at 10 a.m. in the children’s department. Popular kid’s movies are shown.
- Southington Sassy Skeins. Mondays, at 6:30 p.m., Thursdays, at 1 p.m., and Fridays, 10 a.m. Library sponsored knitting and crocheting group welcomes all levels of experience in both crafts. Mentors will help get you started. Needles, yarn, and instruction books available.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the month, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions.
- Teen Chess Club. Wednesdays, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Stop by the Teen Zone and pit your mind against other chess enthusiasts.
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Cake Pan Collection. Are you celebrating a special holiday or do you have a fan of dinosaurs or cars? Visit the Southington Public Library to see the display of novelty cake pans now available to borrow. The pans are located in the children’s department.
- Exhibit space for local artists (Free). The Gallery at the Southington Public Library provides a venue for local community residents to share their artistic talents in the visual arts with the general public during the library hours, Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Contact the library at (860) 628-0947.