The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Artist of the Month Brian Varano. Plantsville’s Brian Varano is a graduate of Rhode Island School of Design. Much of his work includes quick pencil studies, black and white images, and color drawings, and paintings. He often gets inspiration from both the local landscape and more distant and exotic places, when he is vacationing with his family. Meet the artist on Saturday, Sept. 23, at 2 p.m.
- Southington Festival Choral Open Rehearsal. Monday, Sept. 18, 7 p.m. Anyone interested in joining the group is encouraged to come to listen and sit-in.
- Powerful Beyond Measure Series. Tuesday, Sept. 19, 6 p.m. Registration required. Cynthia E. Mazzaferro leads this discussion about her book, “Powerful Beyond Measure: 3 Steps to Claim Your Power Within for a Happy & Healthy Life.”
- Book discussion: ‘Our Souls at Night.’ Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2:30 p.m. Participants will discuss “Our Souls at Night,” by Kent Haruf.
- Hope Full Lives: For Care Partners and People Living with Dementia. Monday, Sept. 25, 6 p.m. Registration Required. Healthcare representatives from the Alzheimer’s Resource Center in Southington will lead discussion to promote well-being for all individuals touched by dementia, including memory screens, classes support groups, coaching, and counseling services available to Southington residents. Sponsored by a grant from The Barnes Memorial Trust.
- College Admission Process. Wednesday, Sept. 27, 5:30 p.m. Registration required. This seminar will focus on what colleges are looking for in an applicant, factors to consider when deciding where to apply, the application essay, the common application and more. Both students and parents are welcome.
- Star-Gazing Party. Wednesday, Sept. 27, 7 p.m. Registration required. Join amateur astronomer Russ Leonard to gaze at the moon, stars and planets through a large telescope. He will be bringing two large, computer-controlled Schmidt Cassegrain telescopes, along with some smaller manually controlled scopes. Dress warmly and bring flashlights. All ages are welcome. Kids under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Eight to the Bar after hours concert. Thursday, Sept. 28, 7 p.m., in the café.
- Forgetting names and keys? Normal aging or dementia? Wednesday, Oct. 18, 6 p.m. Registration required. Healthcare representatives from the Alzheimer’s Resource Center in Southington will lead the discussion. Sponsored by a grant from The Barnes Memorial Trust.
- Love someone with dementia? Caring for the Caregiver. Wednesday, Oct. 25, 6 p.m. Registration required. Healthcare representatives from the Alzheimer’s Resource Center in Southington will lead the discussion. Sponsored by a grant from The Barnes Memorial Trust.
- Behavioral Health Information. Mondays, 10 a.m., or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. Wheeler Clinic senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will offer behavioral health information and connection with services available for local residents. For private consultations, contact Justine at (860) 414-1235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Southington Sassy Skeins. Mondays, at 6:30 p.m., Thursdays, at 1 p.m., and Fridays, 10 a.m. Library sponsored knitting and crocheting group welcomes all levels of experience in both crafts. Mentors will help get you started. Needles, yarn, and instruction books available.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over.
- Anime Club (meets weekly). Thursdays, 3:30 p.m., in the library meeting room. Open to students in grades 7-12 (aged 13-18). Join the teen librarian, Nicole Kent, to watch new episodes of classic and contemporary anime.
- Pajama Jam. Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. No registration. Drop-in evening storytime. The whole family will sing, dance, move, grove and listen to stories. Wearing pajamas is encouraged. Stuffed animals are welcome.
- Saturday Morning Movies. Saturdays, beginning at 10 a.m. in the children’s department. Popular kid’s movies are shown.
- Cake Pan Collection. Are you celebrating a special holiday or do you have a fan of dinosaurs or cars? Visit the Southington Public Library to see the display of novelty cake pans now available to borrow. The pans are located in the children’s department.
- Exhibit space for local artists (Free). The Gallery at the Southington Public Library provides a venue for local community residents to share their artistic talents in the visual arts with the general public during the library hours, Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Contact the library at (860) 628-0947.