Registration for the following classes and programs, unless otherwise noted, can be made at the Southington Recreation Department at (860) 276-6219. Checks should be payable to Town of Southington. Pre-registration and payment is required. For more information, registration forms, or an activity schedule visit www.southington.org/recreation.
TOWN-WIDE LITTLE LEAGUE/GIRL’S SOFTBALL REGISTRATION—Saturday, Feb. 4, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., in the Southington High School cafeteria. Open to Southington residents. The minimum age to participate is 5 years old as of Dec. 31, 2017. Fees vary by league; cash or check only. Parents should bring a certified birth certificate (with raised seal) and three forms of proof of residency. More info at www.southington.org/LittleLeague.
ADULT FITNESS CLASSES—Tuesdays and Thursdays, Feb. 7-April 4, 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m., in the Kennedy Middle School gym. Low/high aerobics and strength training with free weights. Cost is $60. Info and forms at www.southington.org/fitness.
DOG OBEDIENCE CLASSES (BEGINNERS)—Wednesdays, Feb. 8-March 22, 6:15 p.m.-7:15 p.m., at The Summit at Plantsville, 261 Summit St. The instructor is Kevin Medeiros. No dogs at the Feb. 8 class. All dogs must be at least 3 months old with up-to-date vaccinations. Cost is $105 per dog. Forms and info at www.southington.org/DogObedience.
DOG OBEDIENCE CLASSES (INTERMEDIATE)—Thursdays, Feb. 9-March 23, 6:15 p.m.-7:15 p.m., at The Summit at Plantsville, 261 Summit St. The instructor is Kevin Medeiros. All dogs must be at least 3 months old with up-to-date vaccinations. Cost is $105 per dog. Forms and info at www.southington.org/DogObedience.
YOUTH TENNIS STRATEGIES COURSE—Mondays, Feb. 20 to March 27, 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., in the town hall council chambers, 75 Main St. Open to Southington children ages 7 to 17. Designed as a course to provide students with a better understanding of the sport of tennis so that they can be more successful on the court. Students will learn about grips, racket sizes, court lines and their meanings, proper scorekeeping, game play styles, serving techniques and more. Cost is $50 per child. Info and forms at www.southington.org/Tennis101.
NIA FITNESS CLASSES—Tuesdays, March 7-May 9, 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m., in the community room at Strong Elementary School, 820 Marion Ave. Cost is $70. Classes are barefoot to soul-stirring music using movements from the martial arts, dance arts and healing arts. Forms and info at www.southington.org/nia.
ADULT BEGINNER’S YOGA CLASSES—Mondays, March 6-May 15, 6:30 p.m.-7:45 p.m., in the Strong Elementary School gym, 820 Marion Ave. Cost is $50. Class size is limited. Forms and info at www.southington.org/yoga.
GIRLS VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM—Tuesdays, March 14-May 16, 6 p.m.-7 p.m. (grades 3-6) or 7 p.m.-8:30 p.m. (grades 7-8). The program, open to Southington residents only, will be on both beginner and skilled players currently attending grades 3-8. Cost is $45 (grades 3-6), $50 (grades 7-8). Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Space is extremely limited. Info and forms at www.southington.org/volleyball.
For additional information and cost, visit www.southington.org/BusTrips. Payment is due at registration. All trips are non-smoking and non-alcoholic. Insurance is available. Trips depart from the commuter lot in Cheshire on Route 10, close to the I-691. Checks should be made payable to Town of Southington. Contact the Recreation Dept at (860) 276-6219.
- March 11, Maple Sugaring in the Berkshires, $104
- March 31-April 2, Washington D.C., $324-$538
- April 22, 9/11 Memorial, Museum & Observatory, $138
- April 29, Cubs vs. Red Sox at Fenway Park, $154
- May 6, Bronx Zoo, $84-$94
- May 27-29, Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park, $404-$804
- June 14-16, Cape May, NJ, $560-$704
- June 17, Erie Canal Cruise, $148
- July 15, Baseball Hall of Fame – Cooperstown, NY, $114
- July 16, Yankees vs. Red Sox at Fenway Park, $154
- July 26-28, Niagara Falls, NY, $404-$704
- Aug. 5, Whale Watch – Plymouth, MA, $104
- Aug. 13, Boston Pops by the Sea & Harbor Cruise, $140
- Aug. 19, Saratoga Race Course, $94
- Sept. 9, 9/11 Memorial, Museum & Observatory, $138
- Sept. 30-October 1, NASCAR Racing at Dover Downs, $292-$534
- Oct. 1, Vermont Fall Foliage, $144
- Oct. 7-9, Montreal, Canada, $294-$674
- Oct. 28, Salem, MA “Haunted Happenings”, $84-98
- Nov. 23, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, $74
- Dec. 10, Newport Holiday at The Breakers, $94
- Dec. 15, Radio City Christmas Spectacular, $TBD