The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Southington Public Library holiday hours. Friday, Dec. 23, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 24, 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 26, closed all day.
- Food for Fines Collection Program. Through Wednesday, Dec. 28. Donate food for Southington Community Services (SCS) to help restock their shelves for the holidays to remove library fines. Acceptable donations include canned vegetables, juice boxes, soups, toiletries, paper goods, snacks, shampoo and conditioner. Most needed items include cereal, tuna fish, peanut butter, jelly, pasta, canned fruit, children’s snack items. Bring your library card, overdue items, and donations to the lending desk.
- The Mitten Tree. The library Mitten Tree display is up to collect new hats, mittens, gloves, scarves, and socks. All items will be delivered to the Southington Community Services Department.
- 2017 Calendars for Veterans. Through Dec. 31 at the reference desk. Collections are underway for the local effort by the American Legion and STEPS to provide 2017 calendars to veterans. The calendars will be distributed to local veterans at the VA hospital and to the Southington care facilities.
- A Book on Every Bed program. Through Dec. 31. Get a free book for your child. Adult caregivers can pick up a free book for each of their children with a valid Southington Public Library card to be placed on the child’s bed while they are sleeping. A program to promote positive reading experiences.
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Wheeler Senior Community Health Outreach Coordinator. Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Clinic’s senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will provide information about mental health, substance use disorders and recovery resources, early childhood and other local programs and services in the community with linkage to local providers.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over. The Library will provide coloring pages, pencils and markers. Feel free to bring your own pencils, markers and coloring sheets.