When the lights go on at the town green this Friday, you can thank Danny Patterson. The Southington 4-year-old won the “Flip the Switch” contest on Monday. At 6 p.m., he will flip the switch to turn on the holiday lights on the town green.
The event is the cornerstone for the White Christmas in the Community event, which runs from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in downtown Southington and downtown Plantsville. The event is sponsored by the Merchants of Downtown Southington (MDS) and the Village of Plantsville Association (VPA).
A map and schedule of events will be handed out on both the Plantsville and Southington greens. Visitors are encouraged to choose either location to kick-off their evening, but pick Southington if you want to see Patterson flip the switch.
Visitors can start at either tree lighting ceremony and begin to explore. Transportation between locations will be provided by a free trolley car on Main Street and hay rides along the town’s linear trail with carolers.
Both transportation devices will have designated pick-up and drop-off locations, and the trolley will announce its last ride around 8 p.m. Different activities and crafts are planned to run throughout the entire event, providing many options for families and their young ones.
- The Southington Community Cultural Arts (SoCCA) and Zingarella will both feature craft stations, so visitors can create a unique Christmas ornament. Santa will arrive in Plantsville on a fire truck to meet the children at the firehouse, but he will also make a stop at Bank of America.
- TD Bank will be open until 7 p.m. for people to write letters to Santa.
- Plantsville and Downtown Southington will both feature face painting, balloon animals, Christmas music, horse-drawn trolleys, refreshments, and treats.
- Participating merchants will have store discounts for holiday shoppers.
- A live nativity scene featuring actors and animals will be performing in the Factory Square parking lot close to Center Street.
- Businesses in both centers will be decorated for the holidays.
- Luminaries and decorations will be arranged along the rail-trail. Holiday lights and decorations will be arranged on the town green and Plantsville center.
More information can be obtained on the White Christmas in the Community Facebook page, or by calling Dawn Miceli at (860) 681-8006, Rob Flood at (860) 609-4620, or Joanne Alfieri at (860) 919-2532.