The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Dan Brookes is the November artist of the month. Gallery is open during Library hours, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Dan Brookes has been a writer, photographer, and graphic artist for over 60 years. He has traveled the world and photographed everything from babies and weddings to the indigenous peoples of the Amazon. Dan recently co-authored a book, “Shooting Vietnam,” based on his tour of duty in Vietnam during 1966 and 1967 as a photographer and photo lab technician.
- Southington Renaissance Faire. Saturday, Nov. 5, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. No registration required. Free, drop-in event for all ages. Step through the gateway and be transported to an era when royalty rule, knights joust, and the arts come alive. Experience the thrill of an armored fight, and test yourself against a knight. Listen to the lyrical tales of traveling troubadours. Whet your taste buds with local fare. Have your face painted. Create your very own “stained glass” project, and more.
- Introduction to American Indian Music with Craig Harris. Wednesday, Nov. 9, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. Craig Harris, musician and author of the recently published “Heartbeat, Warble and the Electric Powwow: American Indian Music,” will perform and discuss native music and its influence on and convergence with other genres.
- Reading Between the Lines Book Discussion Series. Thursday, Nov. 10, 3 p.m. Registration required. The Reading Between the Lines Book Discussion Series offers its final fall afternoon discussion with Carole Shmurak. “A Sleeping Life” by Ruth Rendell will be discussed. Copies of the books will be available at the Reference Desk on a first come basis. Registration is required.
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Wheeler Senior Community Health Outreach Coordinator. Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Clinic’s senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will provide information about mental health, substance use disorders and recovery resources, early childhood and other local programs and services in the community with linkage to local providers.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over. The Library will provide coloring pages, pencils and markers. Feel free to bring your own pencils, markers and coloring sheets.