The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Vanda Koceva, artist of the month. Koceva, a Bristol resident and native of Poland, studied art as a teenager in Warsaw. While a member of the Bristol Art League, she exhibited regularly in their gallery, along with shows at local businesses and various outdoor and Christmas shows. Koceva’s deep faith is exhibited in many of her pastel and watercolor works.
- Where Did I Come From? Monday, Sept. 19, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. Beth Marotti, Executive Director Godfrey Memorial Library, will lead this free researching immigrant ancestors program. Learn how to search ship manifests, naturalization records, and vital records in your country of origin.
- Friends of the Library September Book Sale. Through Saturday, Sept. 17., 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Friday), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Saturday), downstairs at the library. All books are half price. Most paperback books are regularly priced at $0.50 and hard cover books regularly priced at $1.
- Pollinators are in trouble—How You Can Help. Tuesday, Sept. 20, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. Was your vegetable garden less productive this year? Did your landscape have less color? Now is the time to start planning for the next planting season with Dr. Ana Legrand, an entomologist at the University of Connecticut.
- Morning Yoga for Adults with Molly. Thursday Sept. 22, 9:30 a.m. Registration required. Led by certified yoga teacher Molly Virello. Bring your own yoga mat, a towel, and a bottle of water.
- Falls Don’t Just Happen – Fall Prevention. Thursday, Sept. 22, 2:30 p.m. Registration required. Bristol Hospital physical therapist Jennifer Carbone, DPT will discuss common reasons adults may experience an increase in falls, ways to decrease your risk, and changes you can make within the home to lower your risk.
- The Roaming Readers. Thursday, Sept. 22, 9:30 a.m. at the rails-to-trails parking lot on Mill Street. Registration encouraged. Walkers will pair up and share their newest title and favorite authors with each other, then reorganize for continued conversation. Bottled water provided, but dress appropriately, wear sunglasses, apply sunscreen, or bring a hat.
- Free blood pressure screenings. Friday, Sept. 30, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the community outreach table. Provided by a Wheeler Clinic registered nurse.
- The Roaming Readers. Thursday, Oct. 6, 9:30 a.m. at the rails-to-trails parking lot on Mill Street. Registration encouraged. Walkers will pair up and share their newest title and favorite authors with each other, then reorganize for continued conversation. Bottled water provided, but dress appropriately, wear sunglasses, apply sunscreen, or bring a hat.
- Free blood pressure screenings. Friday, Oct. 28, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the community outreach table. Provided by a Wheeler Clinic registered nurse
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration Required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Wheeler Senior Community Health Outreach Coordinator. Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Clinic’s senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will provide information about mental health, substance use disorders and recovery resources, early childhood and other local programs and services in the community with linkage to local providers.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over. The Library will provide coloring pages, pencils and markers. Feel free to bring your own pencils, markers and coloring sheets.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the Month through Sept. 30, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions.