The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Vanda Koceva, artist of the month. Koceva, a Bristol resident and native of Poland, studied art as a teenager in Warsaw. While a member of the Bristol Art League, she exhibited regularly in their gallery, along with shows at local businesses and various outdoor and Christmas shows. Koceva’s deep faith is exhibited in many of her pastel and watercolor works.
- A Hike is just a walk in the woods–Learn how to do it safely. Monday, Sept. 12, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. Discover the “10 Essentials of Hiking,” the importance of proper clothing and equipment in addition to skills needed for a safe, fun, and enjoyable hiking experience. Chuck, a Southington resident, is a health care provider and certified in wilderness first aid.
- Black Bears in Connecticut. Tuesday, Sept. 13, 6:30 p.m. Registration required. Certified Master Wildlife Conservationist Paul Colburn will provide practical recommendations for optimum coexistence with our black bear population. He will also have Black bear artifacts to share with the audience. The presentation is family appropriate for ages 12 and up.
- Friends of the Library September Book Sale. Monday, Sept. 12 to Saturday, Sept. 17., 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. (Monday, Thursday), 2 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (Tuesday), 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Wednesday), 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Friday), 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Saturday), downstairs at the library. All books are half price. Most paperback books are regularly priced at $0.50 and hard cover books regularly priced at $1.
- Free blood pressure screenings. Friday, Sept. 30, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the community outreach table. Provided by a Wheeler Clinic registered nurse.
- Free blood pressure screenings. Friday, Oct. 28, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the community outreach table. Provided by a Wheeler Clinic registered nurse
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration Required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Wheeler Senior Community Health Outreach Coordinator. Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Clinic’s senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will provide information about mental health, substance use disorders and recovery resources, early childhood and other local programs and services in the community with linkage to local providers.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over. The Library will provide coloring pages, pencils and markers. Feel free to bring your own pencils, markers and coloring sheets.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the Month through Sept. 30, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions.