The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Summer Hours. The Southington Public Library will be closed on Saturdays in August.
- Necla Balasaygun “Summer Fun Exhibit.” Through Aug. 31 at the library gallery. A Bristol resident born in Istanbul, Turkey, Balasaygun will exhibit her oil paintings. She’s a member of the Southington Arts and Crafts Assoc., winning the “Best in Oil” award in 2015.
- Summer Movie Night, “Paradise Lost.” Thursday, Aug. 25, 6 p.m., in the lower level program room. Registration is required. This 1955 Academy Award-winning film based on John Steinbeck’s 1952 novel, features the starring debut of movie idol and legend James Dean in this riveting drama revolving around two brothers’ love for the same woman. It also stars Julie Harris, Raymond Massey and Burl Ives.
- Bats, benefits, and white nose syndrome. Monday, Aug. 29, 6:30 p.m. Registration required.
- Free blood pressure screenings. Friday, Sept. 30, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the community outreach table. Provided by a Wheeler Clinic registered nurse
- Free blood pressure screenings. Friday, Oct. 28, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., at the community outreach table. Provided by a Wheeler Clinic registered nurse
- Two-gether Tales. Mondays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. or 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration Required. This story time is meant to engage 2 and 3 year olds, along with siblings and adults.
- Read, Rock & Rhyme. Tuesdays, 9:30 a.m. to 10 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 10 to 23 months old, along with siblings and adults.
- Budding Bookworms. Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration required. This story time is meant to engage 3.5 to 5 years old, along with siblings and adults.
- Wheeler Senior Community Health Outreach Coordinator. Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Clinic’s senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will provide information about mental health, substance use disorders and recovery resources, early childhood and other local programs and services in the community with linkage to local providers.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over. The Library will provide coloring pages, pencils and markers. Feel free to bring your own pencils, markers and coloring sheets.
- Talking Probate with Probate Judge Matthew Jalowiec. Last Friday of the Month through Sept. 30, 10 a.m. Registration is suggested. Judge Jalowiec will be available for approximately an hour to answer general probate questions.