Registration for the following classes and programs, unless otherwise noted, can be made at the Southington Recreation Department at (860) 276-6219. Checks should be payable to Town of Southington. Pre-registration and payment is required. For more information, registration forms, or an activity schedule visit www.southington.org/recreation.
INTRODUCTION TO FENCING—Mondays, May 2 to May 23, 6:15 p.m.-7:15 p.m., in the Strong Elementary School gym. Open to Southington residents ages 8 and up. All equipment will be provided by the instructor. Cost is $80 per person. Class size is limited. More info and forms available at www.southington.org/fencing.
TINY HAWK SOCCER & BASKETBALL PROGRAM—Tuesdays, May 10 to June 7, 5:30 p.m.-6:15 p.m., at the DePaolo Middle School gym. Introductory program open to Southington boys and girls ages 3-4. Cost is $70 per child. Class size is limited. More info and forms available at www.southington.org/skyhawks.
MINI HAWK SOCCER & TEE-BALL PROGRAM—Tuesdays, May 10 to June 7, 6:20 p.m.-7:20 p.m., at the DePaolo Middle School gym. Introductory program open to Southington boys and girls ages 5-7. Cost is $70 per child. Class size is limited. More info and forms available at www.southington.org/skyhawks.
TOUCH-A-TRUCK—Saturday, May 14, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., at the Southington Drive-In. Rain date is Sunday, May 15. Children will enjoy climbing into construction, rescue, military and other vehicles, face painting, music and more. Cost is $3 for children and $1 for adults.
SKYHAWKS TRACK & FIELD CAMP—Now accepting registration for the track & field camp for Southington boys and girls aged 7-12. The program will take place on Monday, Aug. 1 to Friday, Aug. 5, 9 a.m.-noon, at the Southington High School track. The camp will focus on the following events: long distance, sprints, soft hurdles, relays, shot put, discus, and standing long-jump. Cost is $115 per child. Forms and details are available at www.southington.org/TrackCamp. Contact: (860) 276-6219.
MUSIC ON THE GREEN
Free concerts, along with a free car show, takes place every Wednesday, from May 25 through Aug. 31 on the Town Green. Music begins at 7 p.m. and ends at 9 p.m. Rain dates will be held on Thursdays. Dogs, skateboards, in-line skates/rollerblades, bicycles, scooters (gas, battery or push) and motorized vehicles are not allowed on the grounds during this event. A $25 violation fee applies. Police dogs, as well as dogs certified for use by disabled persons, are exempt.
- May 25, Jimmy Mazz.
- June 1, On The Serious Side
- June 8, Sharades
- June 15, Terrapin
- June 22, Dyn-O-Myte Disco Review
- June 29, Truck Stop Troubadours
- July 6, Soul Sound Revue
- July 13, Glamour Girls
- July 20, The Diamond Collection
- July 27, The Sam Vinci Orchestra
- Aug. 3, Dennis Polisky & Maestro’s Men
- Aug. 10, Darik and the Funbags
- Aug. 17, Norm Flash and the Starfires
- Aug. 24, The Kyle Niles Band
- Aug. 31, E-2 An Eagles Experience
For additional information and cost, visit www.southington.org/BusTrips Payment is due at registration. All trips are non-smoking and non-alcoholic. Insurance is available. Trips depart from the commuter lot in Cheshire on Route 10, close to the I-691. Checks should be made payable to Town of Southington. Contact the Recreation Dept at (860) 276-6219.
- May 28-30, Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park
- June 14-16, Cape May, N.J.
- June 26, Newport “On Your Own”
- July 9, Martha’s Vineyard
- July 23, National Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, N.Y.
- July 28, Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
- Aug. 6, Saratoga Race Course
- Aug. 13, Whale Watch, Plymouth, Mass.
- Sept. 10, Hampton Beach Seafood Festival
- Sept. 23-25, Niagara Falls, Canada
- Oct. 1-2, Nascar Racing at Dover Downs
- Oct. 8, Vermont Fall Foliage
- Oct. 15, Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Park Zoo
- Oct. 29, Salem, Mass. “Haunted Happenings”
- Oct. 31-Nov. 1, Halloween at the Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Nov. 24, Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Dec. 3, Christmas Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall
- Dec. 11, New York City “On Your Own”