The Southington Library has announced a number of upcoming programs. All are welcome. To register, contact (860) 628-0947, ext. 6552 or visit www.southingtonlibrary.org and click on ‘Calendar of Events.’ For children’s events, call ext. 3.
Here are some upcoming events:
- “1920: The Year of the Six Presidents” by David Pietrusza. Monday, April 11, 6:30 p.m. Registration is required. Second of four scholar-led book discussions about pivotal Presidential races, led by Dr. Paul Petterson, Chair of the Political Science Dept. at Central Connecticut State University. This one focuses on the race between Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt. It was the first election where women were allowed to vote.
- “The Making of the President 1960” by Theodore H. White. Monday, May 9, 6:30 p.m. Registration is required. Third of four scholar-led book discussions about pivotal Presidential races, led by Dr. Paul Petterson, Chair of the Political Science Dept. at Central Connecticut State University. This one focuseson the battle that pitted Senator John F. Kennedy against Vice-President Richard M. Nixon, including their history-making televised debates.
- “Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime” by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. Monday, May 23, 6:30 p.m. Registration is required. Fourth of four scholar-led book discussions about pivotal Presidential races, led by Dr. Paul Petterson, Chair of the Political Science Dept. at Central Connecticut State University. This one focuses on Barack Obama’s first election.
- Bundle Up and Read adult winter reading contest. Through March 21 (The first day of spring). Complete an entry form for every book you read from Ground Hog Day to the first day of Spring. Place your entries in the “Bundle Up and Read” entry box located by the Information desk. One reader’s entry will be selected at the conclusion of the program to receive the following prizes: a Town of Southington throw and mug donated by the Southington Chamber of Commerce and a Southington Library book bag and mug. In addition the winner will be able to fill the SLM book bag with paperbacks and children’s books, of their choice, from the Friends Bookstore. The winner will be chosen from all the entries on March 22.
- Wheeler Senior Community Health Outreach Coordinator. Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon, or Wednesdays, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wheeler Clinic’s senior community health outreach coordinator Justine Micalizzi will provide information about mental health, substance use disorders and recovery resources, early childhood and other local programs and services in the community. Micalizzi will also help individuals and families navigate the complex systems by providing information and assistance with linkage to local providers.
- Pages to Color Workshop. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon; Tuesdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., on the mezzanine. No registration required. The coloring sessions at the Library are a free, unstructured time for adults, 18 and over. The Library will provide coloring pages, pencils and markers. Feel free to bring your own pencils, markers and coloring sheets.