The Southington Police Department announced that the town-wide winter parking ban will take effect on Sunday, Nov. 15. The emergency parking ban, sidewalk maintenance ordinance, snow throwing ordinance, and absent owner requirements go into effect on the same day.
- Winter Parking Ban. It shall be unlawful from November 15 to April 15 for the owner or operator of a vehicle to allow such vehicle to stand or park on any street in the Town for more than one hour between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m. on any given day.
- Emergency Parking Ban. The Chief of Police or such other person as may be designated by him to act in his absence or incapacity may terminate street parking on any or all of the streets in the Town during a snowstorm or other emergency.
- Maintenance of Sidewalks. Whenever any sidewalk adjoining and fronting any land or premises shall be wholly or partially covered with snow, the owner, tenant or occupant of such adjoining premises shall cause such sidewalk to be made safe and convenient by removing such snow there from within twenty-four (24) hours after the accumulation of the same thereon, and, should ice be accumulated on any sidewalk so that the same cannot be removed, such ice shall be covered with sand or other substance within three (3) hours after the accumulation of such ice.
- Snow Throwing. No owner, tenant, occupant or other individual shall throw or cause to be blown by machine or other implement snow into the right-of-way or sidewalks in the Town of Southington. Any person or company found to be in violation hereof shall be fined per violation. Cul-de-sac residents shall be subject to consideration of the difficulties of snow removal in such areas by the agent who decides on the issuance of a violation.
- Absent Owner of Premises. In the event an owner of premises is absent from the premises when an accumulation of ice or snow occurs such as needs to be removed from a sidewalk adjoining said premises, and the police are unable to reach the owner by phone or in person, then in said event the Town of Southington may cause the snow or ice to be removed and lien the premises for the amount so expended in addition to any other remedy or fines as allowed by law.
- Fines. Fines are listed in the Fine Schedule, § 37-2 of the Town Ordinances and posted on the Town of Southington website.