To the editor:
In celebration of National Volunteer Week (April 12-April 18), we’d like to thank all of the countless number of volunteers that help to make Southington so special. Time after time, when our community is called to action, there is never a hesitation to serve.
We would like to give a special ‘shout out’ to the over 600 volunteers at our local YMCA. As a volunteer-driven organization serving the community since 1928, our efforts in youth development, creating a healthier community, and promoting social responsibility have relied on the dedicated and passionate services of our volunteers.
At the YMCA, our volunteers serve in a variety of ways from:
- Serving on boards and committees that adopt policy, provide guidance, oversight, planning, and evaluation.
- Raising over $350,000 annually for Annual Community Support Campaign through personal solicitation and special events with 100 percent of these funds directed right back in the community.
- Supporting our efforts to raise $3.7 million for our EXTEND THE LEGACY Capital Campaign. Our success helps us fulfill our promise and pledge to help folks of all ages reach their greatest potential.
- Serving as leaders of our parent’s group for our swim teams, gymnastics team, child care, and Adventure Guides.
- A special group of volunteers who spend Saturday mornings helping to make YMCA Camp Sloper the special resource it is. This coming Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. we expect over 100 volunteers to join us for our annual YMCA Camp Sloper spring clean-up. We will have volunteers from our Outdoor Center Committee, YMCA membership, YMCA Board members, Masons, Boy Scouts, and teen volunteers raking leaves, spreading woodchips and mulch, painting, and cleaning up our hiking trails. If interested in helping, Please call Mark Pooler at (860) 621-8194. Lunch is provided.
- Providing several teen programs that encourage volunteerism and giving back to the community.
- Volunteers who work tirelessly behind the scenes to support our YMCA operations.
Later this year we look forward to launching a new initiative called Together-hood. Togetherhood is a YMCA member-led community service program. Togetherhood invites YMCA members to activate their social responsibility by participating in the YMCA’s cause to strengthen community. Togetherhood provides YMCA members with fun, convenient, and rewarding ways to give back and support their neighbors. We hope to participate in four to six community projects annually.
We are very appreciative of these YMCA volunteers and friends who give of their time, skills, and energies do it because they want to make a difference. Thank you YMCA volunteers and thank you community volunteers. You are truly the backbone of our organization and our great Town of Southington
If anyone is interested in volunteering at the YMCA, please give us a call at (860) 621-8737. We’d love to have you.
Joe Eddy, YMCA Board President and John Myers, YMCA Executive Director