Members of the Southington Police Department’s Special Investigations Unit conducted unannounced liquor sale compliance inspections at 20 liquor stores/convenience stores where alcoholic beverages are sold on Nov. 28. Six stores were caught selling to a minor, said police.
Police used a “cooperating individual who was 18-years old without any forms of identification entered the stores and attempted to make a purchase of alcoholic beverages,” a press release from the department explained.
The following six businesses were found to be in violation by selling alcoholic beverages to a minor, said police:
- Queen Street Liquors – 1079 Queen St.
- South Town Liquors – 685 Queen St.
- Lefty’s Package Store – 1207 South Main St.
- Milldale Discount Liquors – 1664 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike
- Wineland Wine and Spirits – 1545 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike
- West Side Spirits – 718 West St.
Police also said the selling clerk/cashier was issued a misdemeanor summons and charged with Sale of Alcohol to a Minor, CGS 30-86.
The following 14 businesses were found to be in compliance and did not sell alcoholic beverages to a minor, said police.
- M & R Liquors – 920 Queen Street
- Wine Works – 1700 West St.
- World Wide Wine and Spirits – 480 Queen St.
- Southington Wine and Spirits – 235 Queen St.
- Liquor Outlet – 400 North Main St.
- Dairy Farms – 68 Berlin St.
- Dairy Plus – 64 South Center St.
- Bridge Package Store – 133 West Center St.
- South Main Street Liquors and Wine – 857 South Main St.
- Super 66 Liquors – 975 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike
- Sassy Liquors – 264 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike
- Little Red Store – 252 Marion Ave.
- Country Farms Convenience – 682 West St.
- Colonial Spirits – 255 Berlin Ave.