The Milldale train depot, which reopened as a museum last year, will have its seasonal opening Saturday. It will remain open through Sept. 14.
The railroad line that once came through town is now Rails to Trails. Volunteers and officials have long sought to restore the train depot as an attraction for the people that utilize the trail.
Numerous volunteers helped refurbish the depot. The items on display at the depot were donated by the Southington Historical Society.
The items are housed in display cases built by the Kiwanis Club. The items on display include mostly photographs and text explaining the photos.
One of the photos on display is an autographed Doris Day photo. The depot was featured in the 1959 film “It Happened to Jane,” which stared Day and Jack Lemmon. Though they no longer work, the track handles inside the depot were also preserved as part of the museum.
The Southington tracks have not been used for transportation since the 1920s, but the depot was used for deliveries for decades afterwards. The last item that arrived by train was a drop forge that was used at the nearby Rex Forge.
The museum is open on Saturdays only, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. A security system was installed to keep an eye on the museum.